Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ellen Tebbits

Title: Ellen Tebbits
Author: Beverly Cleary
Genre: Novel
Rating: 4 stars


When I think back to my reading days in upper elementary school, Beverly Cleary comes to mind.  Upon searching for a children's novel to read for this class, I knew just where to look.  Ellen Tebbits brought back memories of my SSR time in elementary school (silent sustained reading), and I knew I was going to have to check it out and brush up on my Beverly Cleary books.  


Ellen Tebbits is about a young girl going through your ordinary childhood changes and antics.  She gets herself into various messes, has make-ups and break-ups with her best friend, and experiences the embarrassment of wearing woolen underwear in the winter time.  The book starts off with Ellen trying to avoid her classmates at ballet as she changes into her leotard in a closet, later befriending Austine Allen who has woolen underwear as well.  The story continues with Ellen and Austine going to school in matching outfits, and later fighting and tugging at one another's new dresses.  By the end of the story, after a dramatic and relatable girl fight filled with tears, the two make up and are back to being best friends.


I think this book is very relatable to young girls at the elementary level.  It's a fun read that I believe girls especially will enjoy.  I don't think it would be particularly beneficial to make this a classroom read, as it is somewhat gender biased.  However, the message of friendship is one that trails throughout the novel, and is appropriate for children at that age as they form friendships.  The best thing about this book, as previously stated, is it's relativeness.  When I first read it during my childhood, I found myself comforted by Ellen's embarrassing moments and her rollercoaster of a life, because it shows young girls that there are other people out there going through the same thing.  Overall, it's a funny and entertaining read!

No comments:

Post a Comment