Monday, September 20, 2010

The Purple Balloon

Title: The Purple Balloon
Author/Illustrator: Chris Raschka
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Age group: Lower Elementary
Rating: 2 stars

            Having Chris Raschka as my AIP person, I assumed I would like this book as I have many of his others.  However, I was disappointed after reading The Purple Balloon.  This book is about dying, and is very blunt in its wording.  I understand that the message is good, and saying that “good heals,” but the bluntness of sentences such as “There is only one thing harder to talk about than someone old dying- someone young dying” makes me wary to ever use this in a classroom, or with my children in the future.  The illustrations, assumed to be watercolor, are simplistic and child-like, and the color adds a nice touch.  However, I don’t think that the illustrations can save this book from what in my opinion, is a storyline unsuitable for young children.
            I can see how Raschka is trying to shed light on a dark situation such a death, and I believe that there are some kids out there who could benefit from this story.  I do not think I would use this in my classroom, but if there were a situation where a student had gone through a death in the family or similar situation, this book could possibly help in the healing process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment